The Fishgod Family

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Technology doesn't come easy....

I'm married to the most "techie" guy I know. He has the technology to launch the space shuttle from his home office. I, however, have to call for help when my printer jams. Texting is a foreign concept to me. I have tried, but I would just as soon talk to someone as type on those tiny little buttons on my phone.

I recently decided that it was time to get rid of the Arizona cell phone number and switch to a Texas number. The schools have difficulty calling me on my cell because it's long distance. It was time to fill out all of those beginning of the year papers for the kids. So, I figured I would change the number. I did that Monday night. I filled out the paperwork for the kids for school. I sent everything back in.

Today, I realized that my cell phone hasn't rung lately. I used our house phone to call my cell phone. It rang once, then a recording said, "Your call cannot be completed as dialed." I checked the number thinking I input it wrong. I even called Troy from my cell phone to ask him if what I THOUGHT was my cell number really WAS my cell number. (I was right! And, yes, I now know there is a way to find out your cell phone number on your cell phone.) Whatever.

I called my friends at Verizon. After 25 minutes on the phone, and talking to 4 different people, they thought the problem was figured out. The tech support guy updated some stuff on their end and he walked me through a "soft reboot" of my phone. All was well in my world. I had conquered technology and solved my problem with limited phone calls to my techie husband.

I was proud. I was practically gloating. Until my home phone rang. It was Steven's school calling to say that my cell phone isn't working when they call it. hmm....

I called my friends at Verizon again. This time, I got a lady that rivals my husband on her tech abilities. She realized that my cell number prefix was a long distance call from our area, even though we have the same area code. She had to assign me a new phone number.

Easy fix right?

Wrong.

Yesterday, I distributed 100 substitute teacher business cards with my long distance cell number on it. I also completed all of the kids' school paperwork with the wrong number. And, the newsletter for the special ed PTA that I am a board member of was distributed yesterday with the wrong number on it.

This morning, I spent time making calls to tell my new number to various institutions and people. I even sent an email to the people whose contacts I haven't lost in my email contact list.

If you can't reach me, send me an email and I'll be happy to give you my new cell number!

Oh, and I'm still not texting.

B

3 comments:

  1. What a pain! I feel for you. And I don't get the whole texting thing either... it takes too long. Just call... dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love texting Bets!! But geez what a hassle. I hope it works now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Bets! I love that you and Troy are so opposite in the tech world.

    ReplyDelete