The Fishgod Family

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Girls Day Out!!!





Today, Megan and I are having a girl day! We are going to lunch, a movie, shopping for school clothes and hanging out at the mall. I'm really excited for our girl day!




Yesterday was Megan's school orientation day. We have never experienced such a thing--didn't know what to expect. I called the school to see if parents come or just the 8th graders. They said yes, parents are encouraged to attend. I told Megan that I get to go. She was pretty excited about me getting to go, getting to see her friends, getting her school schedule, etc.

Until we got there.
Then, she walked in front of me about 10 steps and said, "Mom, you wait here and I'll go see if any other parents came."
Fortunately, there were tons of parents so I was allowed to enter the building! The parents sat on the bottom rows of the bleachers and the kids sat as far away from their parents as possible.....up high on the bleachers! It was funny how that happens at this age!
The principal talked for a 45 minutes about school expectations and accomplishments. Her school is rated "Exemplary" by the Texas Board of Education based on student achievement. They showed their TAKS scores (equivalent to Arizona's AIMS) and I was impressed! In 3 subjects (social studies, writing and reading) 100% of their students met or exceeded grade level expectations. In math and science, 97% met or exceeded. These are huge accomplishments! We're excited she is at such a good school!
After the principal finished talking, we were excused to go "take care of business" as he put it! He sent us to the "small gym" (yes, the school has two separate gyms!). In the small gym the PTA had everything we needed in one place!
1. PE uniforms
2. Spirit Tshirts, sweatshirts and sweatpants
3. Join PTA
4. Volunteer for PTA committees
5. Buy school supplies (all the supplies the kids need to start the school year, shrink wrapped in a carrier.
We didn't even have to write more than one check! They had stations all set up......once I paid, they gave me colored tickets that represented my purchase. I took my ticket up to each of the tables and they gave me everything. It was so neat!
Megan and her friends went to the cafeteria and picked up their schedules and compared them to each other! She was excited to see she has two morning classes with Leila. She will be taking two classes that are high school credit courses. I think it's going to be a good year!
I better go shower and have Megan pick out my acceptable clothing to be seen in public with her:)
B

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love that Meg made you wait to see if there were any other parents. The ticket system sounds genius! Glad you girls had fun :)

    ReplyDelete