The Fishgod Family

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Score: Steven 1, Dentist 0

Yes, it's true. Steven won round 1 with the dentist! According to the plan, Steven was given a small dose of a calming medication prior to going to the office. We waited nicely in the waiting room for 15 minutes. We waited nicely in the patient room for 15 minutes. Then, all heck broke loose!

They took my advice that we would need several extra hands to help us. The problem is they sent the doctor, the hygienist, and a front office girl.....I don't think any of them weighed over 100 lbs. They all walked into the tiny patient room and started talking to Steven immediately and giving him orders. Suffice it to say, it didn't go too well.

After I was bitten, the doctor's hair was pulled, the hygienist's arm was pinched, the office girl was kicked, they decided maybe Steven didn't even need to SIT IN THE DENTAL CHAIR. Yes. All of that excitement was just to get him to SIT IN THE CHAIR!

I explained that less is better. I explained that having him sit in a regular chair and ASKING him to open his mouth will produce better results than TELLING him....all he hears is "BLAH BLAH BLAH, STEVEN!"

The hygienist was ESPECIALLY helpful by getting into Steven's face and speaking broken Spanish to him while wagging her finger in his face. I had warned her. She got what she deserved!

The doctor finally agreed that it would probably be best if Steven were sedated and all work was done in a hospital setting. I was so proud of myself....I didn't even say, "I told ya so!!!!" Whatever.

While the doctor and I were trying to iron out a few details, I told Steven that it was time to go. The "helpful" hygienist decided that Steven needed a little more Spanish language immersion and even SAT ON THE FLOOR, IN FRONT OF HIS VERY STRONG FEET and put his shoes on him.

I sat there amused.

Sarah, the new nanny, was bewildered. She was wondering why I didn't say anything to the hygienist. She was worried about the hygienist's finger. She was worried about the hygienist getting kicked in the face. She wanted to tell the hygienist that Steven doesn't SPEAK--much less SPANISH!

Steven gave the hygienist a little "love tap" for her efforts.

The hygienist CAN'T say I didn't warn her!

So, we left the office and are awaiting a call from them to schedule his procedures, in the hospital setting, with anesthesia. Sarah and I decided that next time WE need to be sedated.

Final Score: Steven 1, Dentist 0

Or maybe that should be Steven 3, Dentist 0

1 comment:

  1. 3 things...

    1. I think your Christmas countdown is funny

    2. Way to control the 'I told you so remarks'

    3. For some reason this post makes me miss you...I think it is your funny wit and good humor about everything.

    okay one more thing...glad to hear Sarah handled it well, she sounds like a keeper

    ReplyDelete