The Fishgod Family

Friday, December 11, 2009

Christmas in my eyes

As I have mentioned in the past, Texas likes to do things their own way. I like their ways.

For instance, there really isn't any separation between church and state. Megan commented at this back in October when we went to see the choir perform at her school.

At our Christmas Program (not winter program) the kids sang many songs that included Jesus. Santa will be visiting my school next week. Teachers are allowed (and encouraged) to have Christmas trees and decor in our classrooms. Heck, we even have lighted Christmas trees, complete with wrapped boxes, in several halls through out the school.

One of those beautiful trees is located right where my class lines up to leave school every day. Yesterday, one of my students caught me off guard when he said, "Mrs. G, I can see Christmas in your eyes!" It took me a second to realize he could see the reflection of the lights in my glasses. Too cute.

These kiddos come up with the funniest things! Here are a couple of examples from this week:

We read a book called "Courduroy" about a stuffed bear. When I was prompting for details in retelling the story, one litttle boy called the stuffed bear "Quarter boy".

Another little boy was tattling about another boy not being in line. I said, "Okay."

He replied, "You're supposed to say you've got it under control. That's what YOU say.....Mrs. G, DO you have this under control?"

Evidently, I say I have it under control too much. It's just a coping mechanism. It's my mantra. I didn't realize I say it out loud!

Finally, a little girl recently told me that she hopes I will be in her first grade class. I explained that I would stay in kindergarten when she goes into first grade. She told me that I, "am really smart." and I'll "probly be ready for first grade this time." She even hopes that we sit next to each other in first grade.

The things these kids say are priceless!

Have a great Friday everyone!
B

3 comments:

  1. Betsy, these are going to be some of the best times of your life, enjoy them. All kids will make you smile.

    Enjoy it. Texas is still a down home state. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very sweet! Kids are awesome and to see life through their eyes is such a gift. Thanks for sharing the sweetness of your little ones. You are obvioulsy making a huge impact on them!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO love your stories Betsy. Those are GREAT stories about your kids. I can hear it in your writing how much you love what you are doing. Keep up the entertainment for all of us! Love ya! Cappy

    ReplyDelete