The Fishgod Family

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A New School Year

If life is measured in the moments that take my breath away, then I am having one hell of a life this week!

I have a large class of kindergarteners. There are 18 of them. Two are identified as having special education needs. One has not yet been identified, but we are expediting that process. This week he has tried to drink a bottle of glue, licked glue, crumbled crayons, run away on the playground, come out of the bathroom with underwear and pants around his ankles, licked the windows, licked the hallway walls, and cut his own hair and clothes.

Fortunately, I work for an excellent district! My principal, who is amazing, listened to my concerns on Monday. She has assigned several aides to be in the classroom so he has 1:1 at all times so I can teach the remaining children. One of the behavior interventionists came and observed him today. Fortunately, she and I worked together on Steven's programming and she said I was doing all of the interventions she would have recommended. Great......

My other 17 students are a handful....but what group of 5 year olds aren't? But, they have me wrapped around their fingers already. Today, several of them told me they "love" me. It is so cool to hear that and get hugs several times a day.......who cares about timing?

On Monday, I seriously doubted I could make it through the school year. Tuesday was a lot better and I was thinking I could survive. Today, something clicked. They remembered how to walk in a line, how to raise their hands to talk, and even corrected each other when someone didn't follow the rules. I think this year might turn out okay.

B

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are going better for you daily. Look forward to hearing more. Loving you tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be great because you are great!

    ReplyDelete