The Fishgod Family

Friday, August 20, 2010

Meet the Teacher Night

Last night was meet the teacher night for my kinder students. It's amazing how little they all are when they arrive at the beginning of the year.

I had 18 students enrolled as of last night. About 14 showed up with their parents. They were all on their best behavior and nobody even cried.....well, except a few of the moms!

I asked how many of them were sending a kiddo off to kindergarten for the first time. More than half of my class raised their hands. I reminded them that this is the time they have waited for, wished for, and dreaded since they had their babies. I assured them that I remember how it felt to send my own two babies to kinder and how much they learned and grew and made friends, etc. They seemed to take it well and seemed reassured when they found out that I am a mom. Strangely, they don't want to know all about the academics, they just want to know that someone will care about their child and keep their child safe. I think I fooled them into thinking I might be that person:)

Several of my students are very memorable after only 30 minutes in the room together! There is the little boy who made me a necklace and beautiful card that say "You Rock!". There is the little girl who told me she "already know how to read.....you just gotta teacher me the numbers." And, the little girl who stood in front of me, bouncing on her toes saying, "I am just SOOOOOOOO excited to be in your class." I swear I thought she might pee her pants in excitement! They all have so much enthusiasm and I truly feel privileged to be their first teacher. (Remind me of that when I am pulling my hair out while teaching them this year!)

I always get excited for the beginning of the school year. Some years more than others. This year, I am truly excited because I know my school, my teaching team, and everyone involved at our school are committed to helping each child reach their highest potential. The kids are the real focus and it shows in the programs offered. This year, I'm as excited as I was my first year teaching........enthusiasm coupled with realism.....and still knowing my students will have a great year too!

I'm going to enjoy my last weekend before school starts and hit the halls running on Monday morning! Hope you all have a nice weekend too!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how sweet. I can't wait to hear stories about the little kiddos this year!

    Have a great first day!

    ReplyDelete