The Fishgod Family

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Squeaky Wheels

I have become the squeaky wheel. I'm pretty sure the Mental Health Authority (MHMR), the state school, the Dept of Disability Services (DADS) and Steven's new dorm (Brenham) recognize my phone number on caller ID before they even answer.

The sad thing is that no one answers my calls or even returns my messages.

As of last night, MRMR told me they were bringing the missing paperwork to my school today to be signed. I started calling them about 11am. No one showed up.

Today, I decided I would just blast everyone's phones every 30 minutes until someone gave me an answer. I left messages throughout the day and never heard back. At 3pm, I called them and left a message that I would be at THEIR offices at 4:30 to sign whatever was needed. Earlier in the day, I had left messages for the DADS office, our MHMR case manager, the admissions coordinator at Brenham and made a new friend at Brenham's admissions office by the name of Shannon.

At 4:48, I heard back from the admissions coordinator at Brenham. She is awaiting the "official approval" from the superintendent. Steven's paperwork has been sent to his "house staff" for them to determine how much time they need to prepare for him. Once they know that, they will call us to schedule the "intake meeting". AFTER that meeting, they schedule the admission date. But, she said she completely understood how we were feeling.

I said, "Really? How old is your child?"

She said, "Oh, um, well, I don't have a child with autism."

"Then, I guess you don't completely understand how we are feeling." I replied.

She stumbled all over herself apologizing. I didn't say anything. She then continued that since this is an emergency admission, they would probably do the intake and admission on the same day. She promised to call me back shortly after 5pm. It is now 5:30 and I haven't heard from her. Shocking, huh?

So, that's the update for today. Essentially, virtually nothing has been accomplished in the past 24 hours. But, now I know that I need to contact the superintendent starting tomorrow morning about 7am.....every 30 minutes:)

I'm so glad I have a purpose for tomorrow.

Betsy

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bets...soooo sorry this situation has escalated into such a frustrating experience. Not like you're going through enough as it is. Geez. Can't imagine how that is piling onto all of your emotions along with Stevie's continued violence. You are ALWAYS in our prayers!!! Thanks for the posting.

    Love you TONS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you guys Bets. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Will keep praying for you all.
    Love you!
    Cappy

    ReplyDelete