The Fishgod Family

Thursday, March 25, 2010

It pays to have an attorney in the family.....

Today, we woke up feeling back at square one. I didn't know how lucky I was to have my sister working behind the scenes! Huge kudos to Ang!

Short version is that she contacted the Attorney General in Texas and asked for guidance. They referred us to an advocacy attorney. While waiting for a call back from them, Ang suggested that I tell the county and state people that we had consulted an attorney.

About 11:00am, I left a message for the state guy who has never returned any of my calls. I also made a call to the county lady and mentioned the attorney. She stumbled all over herself and said she would make some calls.

I'm not sure who exactly made the right calls, but 20 minutes later, the state guy called me back. He began the conversation by apologizing for the delay in providing the services, thanked us for our patience and said he "had received a directive" that Steven was to be accepted at a residential school closer to our home.

The next few hours involved me answering the phone a lot. All of the people who wouldn't return my calls, couldn't answer questions and didn't show any interest, called me back. We have more answers now and feel more comfortable with the way things are progressing.

Steven's admission date is next Wednesday, 3/31. We will be heading to Abilene, Texas (about 3 hours away). We'll stay there a few days to help with the transition, then come home and try to adjust here.

Phew. And, thanks again, Ang.

Bets

8 comments:

  1. Hooray for progress! Beyond the "squeaky wheel" rule is the "it's not what you know, but who you know" rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are looking up :) Ang- I know your big sister is so thankful to have you! Love, Anisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Finally a light at the end of the tunnel. That is great news Bets! Good luck with admission day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is better news than the past few days. I'm so happy Angie was able to help you get things going. You must feel at times that you are not making progress but you are stronger than most of us and have such good perseverance. I am so proud of you, Betsy. You, Troy, Meg and Stevie are in my prayers everyday. I love you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heard by the grapevine that the school at Abiline has a better rep than Breham... Well known across the state for working with kids who have seizures. And so the sun will rise tomorrow!Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad that you have to threaten legal action to get anything done! Anyway, sounds like this is going to work out better for you guys! YAY! My thoughts and prayers are for you all, life is hard but God is so good! Love you, Sue Ried

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you, Bets! Ang

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such good news Betsy. You, Troy, Megs and Steven have all been in my thoughts and prayers. God truly gave you such wonderful strength and perseverance.
    Love you lots!
    Cappy

    ReplyDelete