The Fishgod Family

Friday, October 16, 2009

Ya think it's autism?




Today is the day that Steven and I head to the psychologist to determine if he does, indeed, have autism. Even though three separate doctors in Arizona have concurred, their diagnoses are not accepted in Texas. Only a Texas doctor may diagnose autism in order to qualify for specific state services.


So, today I will wreak havoc with Steven's schedule. I will pick him up at school early. We will drive 30 miles away to the "Texas Certified" doctor. There, we will rehash the last 12 years of interventions. We will also do my personal favorite-- go through the listing of developmental milestones that Steven has not yet reached. The doctor will get to point out all the areas in which Steven hasn't reached those milestones. Finally, we will get to determine which of the "autism checklist of behaviors" that Steven has. And, if we are lucky, two hours or so later, we will leave the office with a diagnosis we already have.


I hate these type of doctor visits. Truly, I do.


I believe we will stop at Sonic on our way home for some comfort ice cream!


B

No comments:

Post a Comment