The Fishgod Family

Friday, September 9, 2011

Well, hell. Let's get it all done tonight.

Where do we start! Overall, we are doing okay.  We are immensely busy and find it difficult to catch up via phone with many.  But, we still think of everyone!

Troy continues to struggle with pain management.  He has been referred to the neurosurgeon to schedule spinal fusion.  We meet with him on 9/20 to get details.  Troy would like to wait until December to have the procedure.  Ideally, work would be slower during the holidays and I would be home to assist him in recovery.  We aren't sure the doctor is going to go for that.  And, I'm honestly not sure Troy can wait that long to get some relief.

The doctor recently made some changes to Troy's medication in hopes of better controlling his pain.  The pain is more manageable but the side effect is increased drowsiness.  It's a hard call either way because he is not well in either condition.  It's been a long year and he is worn down emotionally and physically.

He continues to impress me with his love and support and worry about our family.  Instead of worrying about himself, he worries about us.  We assure him that all is well and we will be here for him through it all.  I'm thinking we may need to develop some kind of mail brigade of funny cards etc while he is in the hospital to keep his spirits up.  I'll keep you posted on that as we know more.  Anyone who wants to start sending him funny cards now is welcome to!  I think he would enjoy it.

I am teaching fifth grade science this year and loving it so far.  The kids are sweet and no one has wiped their nose on me yet!  I'm trying to stay one week ahead of the kids academically and I'm relearning alot!  I don't think I could go on that show, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" without some refreshers!

I walked in graduation in July and am finishing my thesis before the deadline of 10/24.  I will be so glad to be done with courses!  This last thesis course is very time consuming and I'm struggling to stay on top of things.  It is what it is and it's almost done! I seriously cannot wait to be done.

Nothing too exciting happens in our world except visits to the ER or scheduled doctor appointments.  We're okay with that level of excitement.  Some days are harder than others, but we are lucky to have each other to love through it all.

Someone asked me today what we are doing for Thanksgiving and I laughed out loud!  I said I didn't know what I was doing on Sunday so Thanksgiving sounds years away!  We are learning to take things one day at a time and not plan so far in the future. 

There.  You are all caught up.:)  I'm going to bed now! Good night!

Love,
Bets

2 comments:

  1. Love the updates! Keep 'em coming... Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the update, and really wish we all lived closer. I really enjoyed hanging with you guys!!

    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete